The adjustment to a family of 6 has been really easy and natural in many ways. Chloe loves the chaos of having siblings. She eats up all the attention that is given to her, and there is never a shortage of people to entertain her. Today she had some one on one time with Ben while Teagan and Noah attended VBS, and they were both in heaven. I love seeing these relationships form.
She is still working out what it means to have two parents. People that love her unconditionally and will never abandon her. Both Sean and I have returned to work, and although our schedules allow us to always have someone home with the kids, it has been tough on Chloe. The days that Sean is home and I work have been difficult. She has a hard time in the morning, following me around to be sure I don't disappear. And when I do have to leave she makes it clear that she is not impressed. Once Sean gets her calm, she is happy and will carry on as usual enjoying her time with Baba. This is totally normal, and yet so difficult. When I see it through Chloe's eyes my heart breaks. She has been through so much in her two short years, and she has clung to us during some huge life changes. She's an amazing, resilient, little girl.
Lots of people have asked me how she is doing: Is she talking? Does she know her name? Does she understand what you are saying to her? How do you communicate with her?
Here are some answers:
Chloe does talk although most of it is still babbling as she learns a new language. Some words she does use: Mama, Baba, Uh-oh, dog, Ben, on, up, off, help, more, hi, bye, night-night. What she doesn't communicate with language she makes abundantly clear with grunts, pointing, and sign language.
Chloe has answered to her American name since week one. In fact we tried to incorporate her Chinese name for a bit at the beginning and she would never respond to it. I am not sure if there was a nick name for her at the orphanage or if she was just not used to being singled out of the group.
Chloe understands English a whole lot better than I understand Chinese. ;) She seems to have no issues understanding and following instructions, altough she is 2, so some things are ignored like any other 2 year old.
I am continually amazed at just how perfect this little girl is. All those days of doubt and disappointment during the wait seem so frivilous now. She is worth every bit of time, effort, tears, worry, sleepless nights and more! I can't imagine life without her in it.







No comments:
Post a Comment